Are you as tired as I am of the chaos, hostility, and just plain weirdness of Internet theology forums? Let me introduce…
Common Sense Bible Study!
“WOWEE!!! The well-explained steps and questions are an answered prayer. Thank you. We really appreciate your encouragement, and we are excited to learn more.” -Kurt G.
My name is Jay Carper, and I want to help you filter out the noise and focus on building your faith and keeping God’s commandments through better Bible study! No pagan police. No Torah terrorists.
If you want to be more focused and intentional in your Bible study, and you think this project is a good cause worth supporting, click the Join Now button. You’ll get access to the forums, group and private chat, online Bible studies, and live events, in addition to all current and future courses for as long as you’re a member. See below for information about The Chiasm Course and A Sabbath to YHWH.
If you’re not ready to make a financial commitment, you can still sign up for free and join the conversation right now by clicking the Free Access button. You’ll have access to the forums, group and private chat, online Bible studies, and live events. You just won’t have access to the courses.
If you’re still not sure, keep reading! ↓↓↓
We all have doubts and questions, and nobody has all the answers. Nobody is right about everything. When you first realize that your church taught you something contrary to Scripture, it’s tempting to reject everything else they taught you too. “If that was a lie, what else have I been lied to about!? So many traditions don’t seem to have any basis in the Bible!”
Be careful! I want to help you work through these troubled times, but not everything you were taught is a lie. Not all traditions are wrong.
Our job isn’t to throw out everything we ever learned, but to test each doctrine against Scripture, to hold on to what is true, and reject only those things that aren’t compatible.
Bible study doesn’t have to be just for the experts!
You don’t have to read Greek and Hebrew. You don’t need to go to seminary or Bible college.
The Bible is a very big book and it can be complicated…but it’s not so complicated that you need an advanced education to understand most of it. I don’t have a theology degree, but I have been reading and studying the Bible for most of my life and learning to keep God’s Law for the last 25 years.
Courses Available at Common Sense Bible Study Today:
The Chiasm Course
A chiasm is a literary device used to highlight connections between different events or ideas or to highlight a central point in a story. Many ancient cultures used chiasms in their literature, and the Bible is full of them!
Have you ever been reading the Bible and think to yourself, “Hey! Didn’t I just read that a couple of verses up?”, again and again in the same passage, like a literary déjà vu? Frequently, that means you’re reading a chiasm (or chiasmus, if you want to be really technical).
There are literary patterns embedded in the text throughout the Bible, and with a little patience and careful reading, you can find them and add new dimensions to passages that used to seem flat!
You don’t need a degree in ancient languages or any other college or seminary degree for that matter. This 5-part course represents hundreds of hours of study and preparation, but it won’t take nearly that long to show you how to find and connect related statements within a Bible passage to reveal new facets of meaning and make your Bible study more meaningful, more fascinating, and even more fun!
Click here for more details about The Chiasm Course.
A Sabbath to YHWH
The weekly Sabbath is discussed over 130 times in the Bible in at least 23 separate books. It was established at Creation and has its own covenant, separate from what we usually call the “Old” and “New” Testaments.
Judah was exiled from the Promised Land in part because they neglected the Sabbath. It has been a controversial flashpoint between Christians and Jews and between one Christian group and another for 2000 years.
The weekly Sabbath is all about our relationship with God and with each other. There’s no getting around the fact that it’s an important concept in God’s communications and interactions with mankind, so it’s important for us to understand it. I want to help you understand the Sabbath and what it means for believers in Jesus today.
A Sabbath to YHWH consists of 13 videos addressing these four questions:
- What is the Sabbath?
- Why is the Sabbath important?
- Who is the Sabbath for?
- When is the Sabbath?
Even if you’ve been observing the Sabbath for many years, I’m certain you’ll learn something new in this course!
Why Am I Doing This?
We’re all on a journey from who we used to be to who God wants us to become. You’re not alone. I know what it’s like to have questions, and I want to help you find your answers without interference from Torah terrorists and pagan police.
I’ve published hundreds of articles on my own websites as well as on a few others and hundreds of videos teaching on scriptural topics from both the New and Old Testaments. They’re all free to the public, and I’ll continue to post new content at American Torah, Soil from Stone, YouTube, and Rumble regularly.
But it’s not enough for me anymore just to explain the Scriptures to you. With Common Sense Bible Study, I want to help you understand the Bible for yourself.
Here are what other believers have said about my online teaching:
- “I just found you on YouTube. I absolutely love your teachings and your character is such a breath of fresh air. It’s truly Christlike!” -Renee C.
- “I love you! Pro-Torah believer in Yeshua [Jesus], who urges people to not immediately disregard scholarship, but instead use our mind to discern and seek the truth…” -Rio K.
- “Not gonna lie. When I clicked on this, I thought it was going to be some woke nonsense. Instead, it was sound biblical interpretation and application. A breath of fresh air. Great thoughts, brother.” -Jeremy E.
- “Hey Jay, just wanted to say your knowledge and insight are amazing, no doubt a gift from GOD. I enjoy your Twitter post and videos….would love to see more!!!” -Douglass J. [Unfortunately, I keep getting banned from Twitter for pointing out obvious truths.]
The Common Sense Bible Study community might be a good fit for you if…
- You’ve been wondering why the Bible says one thing, while your church says another.
- You’ve felt God calling you to greater obedience to his commandments, but you’re not sure what to do. It seems like there’s nobody around who understands.
- Sunday School lessons just aren’t enough anymore. You want a deeper understanding of the Word of God.
- You’re part of a regular Bible study group, but you feel like you don’t have a lot to contribute.
- You lead a Bible study, but you’ve been struggling to keep it interesting and relevant to your students.
On the other hand, Common Sense Bible Study might not be for you if…
- You love God and his Word, but you prefer to leave the studying and teaching to your pastor or priest.
- You’re looking for a university-level course for credit or CEUs.
- You don’t have the patience for a systematic Bible study.
- You would never give up something that you and all your friends love because the Bible says God wants you to.
- You believe God’s Law is irrelevant to Christians today and studying it can only trap people in legalism.
If anything in that last list describe you, no hard feelings. This community just isn’t a good fit for you, where you’re at right now. Maybe it will work better for you down the road.
Join the Community!
If you want to work toward a better understanding of God’s Word and his character, if you want to be part of a community studying the Scriptures from a common sense perspective and learning how to apply its wisdom and instructions to life in the modern world, join Common Sense Bible Study.
You can sign up for free and join the conversation right now. You’ll have access to the forums, group and private chat, online Bible studies, and live events. Just click the Free Access button.
If you want to be more focused and intentional in your Bible study, and you think this project is a good cause worth supporting, choose the paid plan by clicking on the Join Now button. You’ll have access to all of the free content and events, plus all current and future courses for as long as you’re a member.
Come with me and together we’ll discover what the Scriptures are supposed to be, not what some central planning committee wants them to be.
Welcome to our community. We’re going to learn a lot together!